Our gastro pioneer Philli Armitage-Mattin has travelled across Asia in search of weird and wonderful regional spiced recipes, spending time in some of the world’s best kitchens. Best known for her finalist position on MasterChef The Professionals, Philli trained with the Ramsay group, but then left the monotony of kitchen hours to embark on her own venture. Today she is a food explorer, building on her craft, learning and developing new recipes. Philli enjoys exploring spice and the science of gastronomy. Joining the OPIHR Spice Tour, Philli will create a series of easy-to-make small plates inspired by OPIHR’s signature spices.
Join Philli Armitage-Mattin from MasterChef the Professionals as she serves up a series of uniquely spiced side dishes, perfect for bringing something new to the table at garden gatherings and dinner parties. Taking inspiration from three of the OPIHR gin range, Philli’s masterclass will demonstrate how to make korma spice halloumi, Black lemon roasted aubergines, and szechuan lamb kebabs. In this step by step class, chef Philli captures exciting moments of flavour travelling along the ancient spice route, challenging simple ingredients and cooking techniques with the charm of spice.
Inspired by OPIHR’s Original Spiced London Dry Gin (v)
2 tbsp coriander seeds
4 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp cloves (4)
2 tsp cumin seeds whole
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
2 tsp fennel seeds
6 black peppercorns
1 whole halloumi
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 bunches of coriander
1 green chilli
3 slices of ginger
1/2 tsp cumin
squeeze of lemon – about a 1/4
1 tbsp water
1. Blend spices for korma mix in spice blender
2. Rub spices on the halloumi and grill on the bbq whole for 10-15 mins, drizzle on honey at 5 minute intervals
3. Blend all ingredients for coriander chutney
4. Remove and cover in more spice mix, honey and desiccated coconut, serve with coriander chutney and charred lemon wedge.
Inspired by OPIHR Black Lemon, Arabian Edition Gin
1 black lemon
pinch chilli powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Pomegranate molasses
2 tbsp tahini
1/2 lemon juice
1/2 clove of garlic
2 tbsp water
1. Blend salt, black lemon, chilli in a spice grinder until smooth
2. Rub whole aubergine with olive oil and roast on the bbq for 15-20 mins until fully cooked, sprinkle generously with the black lemon salt throughout the cooking.
3. Mix the tahini with lemon juice. It’ll become thick and then add pureed garlic and loosen with water until you get the consistency of double cream, finish with salt.
4. Remove the aubergine from the bbq, drizzle with pomegranate molasses and top with chopped parsley to serve with the tahina sauce.
Inspired by OPIHR Szechuan Pepper, Far East Edition Gin
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp / 2 chillies
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 szechuan peppercorns
300g lamb leg steak cut into 10cm cubes
1 tbsp Red chilli flakes
100ml Vegetable oil
2 tbsp Chinese black vinegar (replacement balsamic vinegar)
1 tsp mixed sesame seeds
1. Blend cumin seeds, chilli, salt and peppercorns in a spice grinder
2. Skewer lamb onto sticks
3. Heat oil to 160c, be very careful! Pour oil over the chilli flakes and allow to bubble and leave to come to room temperature. This can be stored and used for 1 month.
4. Cook lamb on the direct heat of the bbq and move to the middle to the indirect area making sure to keep seasoning the meat with the spice mix.
5. Serve with chilli oil and black vinegar and garnish with sesame seeds.
If you want to get in touch, we would love to hear from youContact Us